Story – Today Umag was inhabited already in Roman times. It developed from an island settlement - the narrow isthmus separating it from the mainland was gradually filled up. The city changed hands – in the early Middle Ages it was the property of the bishops of Trieste, w 1268 r. the Republic of Venice took control of it. After its liquidation, w 1797 r. Umag was incorporated into the Habsburg state, in which he stayed, with a short break during Napoleon's reign, do 1918 r. Then it found itself within the borders of Italy, a w 1945 r. became part of the so-called. zone B belonging to the free city of Trieste. Only 8 years after the war, Umag, together with Novigrad, officially attached to the Republic of Croatia, then remaining within the borders of Yugoslavia.
It's best to start your tour from the rectangular Trgu Marija i Lina by the waterfront, next to a small square with a fountain and benches, where are the parking spaces. Along the waterfront, where ships are moored, runs Obala J.B. Aunt. By following it towards a small pier (with a maritime border point), after a few- 3 Ten meters you reach Trgu slobode, which has several open-air restaurants.
The Baroque Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary stands by the square (church of st. Mary; in the season 8.00-19.00, out of season it can be viewed through the glazed entrance). The 18th-century temple has a not very interesting front, decorated with only six pilasters, and a free-standing low belfry with a clock and interesting double windows (biforia) on the top floor. Inside the church, there is a 15th-century Venetian polyptych. In summer, the temple serves as a concert hall - it hosts some of the Umaśko concertno ljeto events.
Walking all the time along the shores of the peninsula, almost the entire old town is encircled. Running along the Trgu slobode Obala J.B. Tita leads towards the breakwater that closes the port, from where you can see the marina on the other side of the port bay. Near the base of the breakwater, at Trgu sv. Martina 1 houses the City Museum (City Museum; tel.052/ 741440; wt.-nd. 10.00-12.00 i 19.00- 22.00, off season Tue - Sat. 10.00— 12.00), in which it is worth seeing a lapidarium and exhibits from the Roman period, e.g.. amphoras extracted from the sea.
Active rest and entertainment
Various excursions can be booked through travel agencies.
Horse riding Juricanija equestrian center (Umag-Katoro, the. Savudrija, close to Hotel Istra, tel.052/743285), Rancho "Goli Vrh" Branko Maglica (Umag-Goli Vrh 31, tel.052/730207).
Kino Obala J.B.. Aunt, tel.052/741116.
Karigador sightseeing flights (tel.052/ 752440), Aeroclub Umag (the. Savudrija, tel.052/753571, tel./fax 743954). Diving Bori Libra (Freedom Square 2, tel.052/741934, email@example.com), Our way (Freedom Square 2, tel.052/741766), Diving center (Umag, Marina Stella Maris, tel.052/710981), Romlaćki klub More (Umag, the. Istarska 10, tel.052/ 751958).
Paragliding Karlo Bonaćić, tel.052/757951. Rafting on the Kupa River in Górski Rotor, m.in. Blue Sea Agency (the. Trgovaćka 3a).
Boat cruises (from 2 at) Along the coast of Istria; Fish Trunks (m.in. Blue Sea Agency, the. Trgovaćka 3a). In summer, a glass-bottomed catamaran "Sveti Pelegrin" leaves the port every day (Tourist Istra agency, tel.052/741806). Fishing trips on the Rino speedboat (tel.052/759602, 759412; takes to 5 passengers).
Tennis Katoro tennis center (the. Savudrija, near the hotel Istra, tel.052/ 741146), Stella Maris tennis center (the. Savudrija, near the municipal swimming pool in a bay, tel.052/741704).
In the north-western part of Istria, several bicycle routes have been marked out, six of which have markings. Two run through Umag and Savudrija. Ask for the Istra Bike map at the tourist information office in Umag. North-west Istra.
Route no 1 (20 km) starts in the Savudrija-Baśanija estate near the lighthouse. It runs along the shore towards Cape Sv. Ivan. From here it climbs gradually over Al-beri and Crveni Vrh to the highest point of the route, which is Sv. Petar. Then follows a sharp descent to the seaside estate Savudrija-Kanegra, then another steep climb. From Kanegra the trail goes inland and slowly descends, headed to Katoro (tourist settlement belonging to Umag). From Katoro, the route goes along the shore to the starting point.
Route no 2 (ok. 32 km) begins in Katoro, near the equestrian center Juricanija, from where it leads inland, through Murine and then south-east towards the settlement of Vilanija. There the ascent to Gornji Picudo begins, where the trail turns right onto the road to Juricani and crosses the main road from Umag to Bu-je, heading further south, by Sverki (where it leaves the asphalt) and Lukoni to the church in Radini. From here begins the descent to the coast, which the trail reaches in Ladin Gaj (with a campsite). The last part of the route is almost flat and runs almost exclusively along the asphalt road along the coast, next to the church in Lovrećic to Umag and the starting point in Katoro.
For ten years now Umag has been organizing events from the Umaśko concertno ljeto series. You can then not only listen to different genres of music, but also to watch theatrical performances, exhibitions, fashion show, and even miss elections. Most of the concerts take place in the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the events – on Freedom Square. August is the time of the Croatia Open tennis tournament.